Making Additional Savings Through Negative Power (Back EMF)
The design and specification of the Powerstar voltage optimisation system is unique. It holds a patent on its design which ensures that other voltage optimisation solutions, although similar in principle and application are unable to replicate the exact design specifications of the Powerstar system.
It is through this patented design that Powerstar is able to generate negative power feedback (back EMF).
Powerstar voltage optimisation technology is a transformer-based system used to optimise the characteristics of the current supplied at the source (first current), according to current characteristics required at the load (second current).
- The first current is typically an alternating voltage in which case the resultant voltage is increased or decreased, this transformation routinely results in excess transformed voltage
- Because this reverse current is real energy, which is distinct from apparent or reactive energy, there is a direct effect on the consumption of the load. This effect is a reduction of power consumed by a load, seen by actual kWh savings
Report from The University of Warwick
A report from The University of Warwick produced by Professor Jihong Wang, entitled ‘Simulation Study for a Transformer Based Voltage Regulator’, summarises the effect of Powerstar (referred to as voltage regulator), including the impact of negative power (back EMF).
The report concluded:
- The mathematical and simulation model presented in the report explains how the voltage regulator works
- The theoretic analysis and simulation proves that the voltage regulator can lead to energy saving
- The overall power consumption is reduced because the negative power is induced and feedbacks to the power source, virtually, this power can be considered as power ‘generated’ from the load side
- The induced current or power can be measured by using a separated power supply by using an ordinary transformer (not an autotransformer)
Utilising Negative Power (Back EMF)
Powerstar MAX or Powerstar HV MAX systems can be integrated with VIRTUE, an energy storage system which allows companies to store energy generated during periods of low demand and switch to this stored supply at any time.
VIRTUE allows companies to store locally the energy they generate during periods of low demand and switch to this stored energy at any time. On-site renewable generation can be integrated with VIRTUE to provide maximum cost benefit.