Powerstar HV MAX is one of the only South African manufactured super low loss transformers with an amorphous core. It is coupled with integrated electronic-dynamic (Powerstar MAX) technology enabling it to offer improved efficiencies on the HV side and energy consumption savings on the LV side, providing a combined solution.
Improving Transformer Efficiencies (HV Side)
The reason businesses need to optimise voltage is to correct the problems caused by the HV infrastructure.
Unless the HV distribution transformer is brand new, it is more efficient to correct the issue at source by upgrading to a super low loss transformer with an amorphous core. Benefits include:
The benefits associated with upgrading transformers include:
- A super low loss transformer with an amorphous core that is 99% efficient
- The super low loss transformer exceeds 2021 (tier 2) EU Eco Design efficiency specifications
- Delivers up to 3% annual efficiency savings in comparison to conventional transformers
- When loaded to 75% HV transformer losses are reduced by 73% (compared to conventional transformers)
- At no load, HV transformer losses are reduced by 57% (compared to conventional transformer)
Energy Consumption Savings (LV Side)
The advantage of a Powerstar HV MAX system is that it utilises electronic-dynamic optimisation on the Low Voltage (LV) side, so it has the ability to provide additional savings on top of the HV side transformer efficiencies.
The majority of the savings are achieved through negative power (back EMF) in which excess voltage is sent in the direction of the supply, ensuring only a tenth of the power is transformed, resulting in reduced voltage AND current, further savings are also achieved from improved equipment efficiencies. Benefits include:
- Average energy consumption savings of 10%
- Improved equipment efficiencies and reduced maintenance costs
- Reductions in carbon emissions
- Smoother and stabilised voltage output
- Protection against spikes and surges
- Improved power quality